Find out about classes & workshop announcements
* Purchase the individual modules below.
* You must read Jane's before purchasing
* 6 Separate Modules, purchased individually. These are NOT bundled because they address
different levels of experience and interest.
* Each module will have handouts, 2 zoom meetings and a resource list
* This workshop is NOT about how to make art that sells.
* Here is a downloadable, easy
Whether you aspire to be a full-time professional artist, or just want to get your work out of the basement studio and into the public view, this workshop will give you the tools align your professional choices with your personal goals as an artist. This is not about how to make art that sells. It is about how handle the professional aspects of being an artist. The prerequisite is that you already have an art practice.
Making art is not like other ‘maker’ businesses: you are not banging out products with measurable costs and predictable profit margins. You are definitely not trying to streamline production or cater to the tastes of your customers. Art business is unique in this respect, which is why we need to treat the business of art separately from the making of art. Running a business is a lot of work, but it can be fun and engaging if you are willing to put in the effort.
Zoom is a fun, popular, and easy to use platform which is used for video conferences, webinars, and workshops. Zoom is free to download and use.
The first Zoom session of each Module is a presentation during which you'll receive handouts and homework, which is due the Sunday after that Zoom. The second Zoom of each module we'll discuss homework and answer questions.
After you purchase a module you'll receive the entire syllabus, just before your module starts you'll receive more information and a link for the Zoom workshop.
Here is the syllabus:
Module #1 - Showing Your Work for the First Time
• Zooms on April 5 and 12 at 11:00 am - 12:30 pm Eastern Time
• Questions you should ask yourself
• Juried Exhibitions
• The non-commercial gallery spaces
• Costs and benefits
• The toolbox, or ‘press kit’ overview
• This workshop was held on April 5, 2022
Module #2 - The Toolbox or Press Kit (in depth)
• Zooms on May 3 and 10 at 11:00 am - 12:30 pm Eastern Time
• The artist’s statement (most of our time is spent on this thorny issue)
• Head shot
Module #3 - Marketing, Social Media, and Your Website
• Zooms on July 5 and 12 at 11:00 am - 12:30 pm Eastern Time
• What is marketing as opposed to advertising?
• Engaging your audience – the newsletter, social media posts
• Web site considerations (this does not include the technical aspects of building a website,
but about your priorities and options).
Module #4 - Selling Your Work
• Zooms on September 6 and 13 at 11:00 am - 12:30 pm Eastern Time
• Direct sales or gallery?
• Framing/mounting (not technical, just options and considerations)
• Approaching a commercial gallery
• Prints and products
Module #5 - Teaching
• Zooms on November 8 and 15 at 11:00 am - 12:30 pm Eastern Time
• Teaching live at venues
• Teaching online
Module #6 - You Can't Do It All, So Don't
• Zooms on December 6 and 13 at 11:00 am - 12:30 pm Eastern Time
• Choosing the Right Path
• Leaving yourself time to make art
• Hiring an assistant
Professional Practices Series - $125 per module